Tuesday, March 30, 2010

"hey guys..."

In my Advanced Media class my professor mentioned that calling a group of women or even a group of men with only one woman "guys" can be very offensive. I told her that I almost always greet my tables with, "Hey guys." She told me that if I ever did that to her she'd probably pull me aside and tell me it was very offensive AND not tip very well.

I've never thought about that before, but I think I'll try an experiment. Maybe for half a night, I'll greet every table with "Hey guys" and later on, I'll be more "politically correct" and see how my tip amount differs.

But I'm curious...would that offend you or any of your friends?

-MJ

1 comment:

  1. it doesn't really offend me, bit i am very aware of using that phrase because a lot of my friends do get offended by it. there was a point when i was trying to come up with different ways to replace "hey guys" in my vocab. people actually noticed and said that they liked and appreciated the way i greeted people (true story!) I'm curious to see how your experiment went.

    ReplyDelete