Tuesday, March 2, 2010

i'm curious...

Do you like it better when your server writes down your order or does it by memory? Or do you even care?

I almost never write down my orders, unless the party is more than 6. When I first started serving, it was just my goal to be able to do that. I'm pretty good at remembering everything, and I always hoped that by doing this my customers would notice and be impressed resulting in a bigger tip for me. Of course, there have been times when I've messed up but that doesn't happen too often...

So what do you think? The reason I ask is because when I go out to eat, I feel more comfortable when the server writes down what I order so I know he/she won't forget anything. Kinda hypocritical, I guess...

-MJ

4 comments:

  1. If the waiter seems confident and able, I don't mind if they don't write down the order. I have a fairly good memory when it comes to this kind of thing and I imagine that others who have been serving longer have no problem with it.

    But if I'm in a group of more than six, I definitely think they should write it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always amazed when a waiter can remember an order for my family of 4, especially when they actually DO get it right. I figure it's a sign of a really experienced waiter.

    Why is it that at some restaurants, one person gets our order and a different person brings us our food?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never really noticed whether my server writes the order down or goes off of memory. I don't really care as long as my order makes it to the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This might sound a bit weird, but I think it varies on who I trust to not write my order down. If they are an older, maybe more experienced looking server, I trust them more. If they appear confident in what they're doing, I trust them. Otherwise, write it down. I'm picky and if you get it wrong, I'm gonna be upset.

    ReplyDelete