Thursday, March 18, 2010

irish ≠ money

So last night was a new experience for me.

I picked up a shift for St. Patrick's Day thinking, "Oh ya, the IRISH Democrat is sure to be a happening place. I'll make loads of money."

Well, first of all, I was working in the bar which was pretty much a hit or miss. People were hardly ordering food...mostly just appetizers and they were going to the bar instead of their trusty server (that would be me.) So basically, I had people ordering drinks from the bartender and sitting in my section. (a major dining no-no)

So I was already pretty upset about that and then realized around 7:30 PM, that I had hardly any money in my bank.

[What is a bank? Each server is required to keep a "bank" which is where they keep all of their cash, credit card tips, change, etc. At the end of the night, the serving system calculates how much you owe the restaurant, bartender, etc. All that you do not owe is yours.]

WELL, someone stole at least $100 from my bank. At least it happened early enough were I could hide it and keep better tabs on it but basically, they didn't steal from the restaurant. They stole from ME. So, I walked out with $40 and worked 10 hours.

That's $4 an hour.

Positive side? Hmm...there is no positive.

That's all,

-MJ

1 comment:

  1. There was a positive-you had the best expo around...ME! :)

    Gotta love the ID and all the crazy things that happen. No shift is boring, you can count on that!

    ReplyDelete